Thursday, October 20, 2011

Southern Thailand

Out of all the places I've traveled, Thailand is one of my favorites, right up there with Hong Kong and Italy. There's just something so irresistible about Bangkok. The atmospheres of Khaosan and Rambutri roads are intoxicating. Southern Thailand has some of the most beautiful scenery I've ever laid eyes upon; literally a postcard at every turn. Northern Thailand provided me with a once in a lifetime opportunity to explore the jungle, dine with natives and trek with elephants. I love it here, plain and simple.

Liana and I arrived in Kho Phangan yesterday to what we thought would be yet another rainy day. But the rain dried up and we've had two days of remarkably sunny skies.

The two of us also went a bit rogue on this leg of the trip. We both purchased backpacks about a third the size of the ones we've been carrying. We took half our belongings with us and kept the rest in a locker in Bangkok. Then as soon as we arrived on the island we rented bicycles that we'll use as our main form of transportation for the next 10 days (this has proved to be just a bit troublesome since you drive on the left side here, but we manage). I absolutely love it, biking to and from our resort, marts, restaurants. I could live this lifestyle forever, I think (but don't worry mom I won't).





We will also be attending the half moon festival tonight. This island has a fairly famous full moon party once a month, but since I'll be in Italy this time around, we figure the half moon party should suffice.

After we spend 10 days biking around this gorgeous island, we're taking a ferry to Koh Samui to meet with Melissa again and celebrate Halloween. Any suggestions for costumes are welcome!

No comments:

Post a Comment