Sunday, September 26, 2010

Good-bye, vacation

Well, Chuseok is done and what a week it was. I'm actually happy I didn't end up going anywhere because I feel like I really got to know Busan better. I met some new people, made some new friends and created a ton of memories I know I'll never forget.

As I mentioned before, I had a list of things I wanted to accomplish over this break, and I got to mark a majority of them off. I had my first noraebong experience which was nothing short of amazing. There were about 8-10 people in one room dancing, eating, drinking and singing karaoke. I have never experienced anything like it and I think I was laughing a good 95% of the time.



We also went to a temple, although I'm not sure the name of it. It was so beautiful and serene, unlike any part of Korea I've seen yet. There were a lot of people there that day which I'm assuming was because of the holiday. I would like to visit another temple when it's not so packed because it really did make me feel at peace. I feel like you could do a lot of soul searching there.



I feel like this break solidified the fact that I'm going to spend the next year in Busan and I know I'll be just fine. I've met some amazing people who have helped me get through the somewhat challenging transition to life here. I've been here for almost a month even though it doesn't feel like it all and I really feel like I'm almost completely transitioned. I know that's a bold statement and trials will still arise, but it's definitely getting easier. Even small things like using the subway or getting the right garbage bags was an overwhelming thought 3 weeks ago, but now it's no big deal. I can direct a taxi driver to my apartment with no problem and I'm starting to learn the language more and more.

Although I had a great break and I'm happy I got more acquainted with the city, I'm happy to go back to work. Normalcy is welcome at times.

No comments:

Post a Comment