Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Rome & Florence

I didn't think it would be possible to adore the Italian culture and people more than I already do, but I guess I was mistaken.

It was so amazing to arrive in Rome and meet my mom. I had so many familiar feelings being in Italy again and being able to see her for the first time in over a year. It was wonderful.

We spent our first two nights in Rome doing as most tourists do there. We saw the Colosseum, Trevi Fountain, Spanish steps, St. Peter's and the Vatican. It was so breathtaking to see everything again and even more amazing being able to share the experience with my mom. I think she enjoyed it immensely, as well.






We took the train to Florence and spent three nights there, doing again what most people do while visiting. We saw the Duomo, the David, the Ponte Veccio, piazzas and markets. It was so fun being able to show my mom where I went to school and where I lived, though I was still unable to find any friends that we met two summers ago. Not even at the Dublin Pub...





Since we celebrated my mother's birthday while in Florence, we had to make it special. We visited the beautiful Boboli gardens that stretch for what seems forever. The day was so clear and the temperature was perfect. Italy in the fall is more than I could ask for. We also attended a wine tasting that night, held by a native Florentine in his beautiful home on the Arno river. He taught us about five different Chiantis and we sampled each with different assortments of bread and cheese while talking about our guide, Vittorio's, Italian way of life. After dinner, we made our way to Acgua al 2 for the somewhat infamous blueberry steak and it was, in so many words, one of the best meals I've ever eaten.





We have arrived at our last day in this incredible country. We are taking the train back to Rome today and will spend the day wandering the city, trying to make the most of what time we have left.

This vacation has been absolutely wonderful! In between seeing all the attractions, we've been eating pastas, pizzas and gelato or drinking cappuccinos as well as shopping in high end boutiques or bargaining at markets. I couldn't have asked for a better experience and I think my mom would agree.




No comments:

Post a Comment