Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Let's try again

I started this once before, but I'm not so sure I was comfortable with it. Blogs are kind of scary, You're putting your life on display for just about any one to see. It's one big, public diary. However, they're also therapeutic and it's good to write down what you're feeling, future plans, hopes, dreams, and what not.

I've been doing homework since about 6 pm and I still have to study for a test, but any break was welcome and a blog break will do for now. But I didn't start this blog just to tell you about my study breaks, I started it to keep in touch with people while I'm out of the country and it's a way for people to still stay connected to what I'm doing. I am indeed planning more trips overseas, but before I share these monstrous plans, it would be nice to share my passion for travel.

Last summer I spent the summer traveling throughout Italy, and I can honestly say it was a life-changing experience. I got to see and experience so many things I never thought possible. You always hear things like the "Sistine Chapel" and you see pictures, but it becomes so much more real and tangible when you're actually there, standing in front of a priceless piece of art or irreplaceable artifact. I gained an appreciation for cultures other than my own, but I came to appreciate my own in more ways than I could possibly put down in words. You start to miss little things, like getting free ketchup with meals. But you miss the significant things, like being a drive away from friends and family. I came to appreciate all the people I love and care about so much more after being so far away from them. I could try to tell you all the places I went, all the architecture I saw or all the people I met, but I believe the experiences and what I learned from them are most important.

So after that long spiel, I am so excited to be going back to Europe. I'll be leaving mid-July for a 25-day European Adventure, making stops in Dublin, North Wales, London, Amsterdam, Brussels, Paris, Lucerne, Barcelona, the French Riviera, Pisa, and back to my favorite city of all... Florence.

It's going to be the second trip of a lifetime, and I wish I could put in words how thankful I am to have these opportunities.

As exciting as this trip will be, it's not much of a time commitment. So I guess it's important to mention that I am also knees-deep in preparation to travel to South Korea to teach English for a year. I know that sounds outrageous and it even sounds a little outrageous to me until it is actually confirmed, but this is my plan and this is my aspiration so I'm doing everything I can to make sure it becomes a reality.

Thanks for listening (or reading I guess) and I can't wait to share my experiences with the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment